"Inside the Huddle" - Brian Rolle- Linebacker, Philadelphia Eagles

This is our first interview on our blog, and we couldn't have a better guy to get us going. He spent 4 years playing for our Ohio State Buckeyes and is now following up that great college career with a promising NFL career. This interview took place earlier in the summer, shortly after Brian was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles. Brian got off to a great preseason totaling 10 tackles and 2.5 sacks for the Eagles. In the first 2 weeks of the season he has seen action in both games. The football genes run deep in the Rolle family having family at Florida State and Miami and in the NFL. We really appreciate Brian speaking with us, hope you all enjoy getting to know one of our favorite and hardest working Buckeyes!


Q: What sports figures did you look up to as a kid?
A: Edge James was a guy I looked up to who is from where I'm from, I wanted to succeed at sports as he did. J.Vilma was another guy I really liked coming out of Miami, someone who was a play maker and he had that swag that puts fear into his opponents.

Q: What kind of influence has your family had on your football career?
A: Well it's no secret Antrel, Myron, and Samari are cousins of mine, so that alone was a boost to be great. My immediate family; parents, brothers and sister really was/is there for moral support. I know that if I need anything or someone to talk to I know it's nothing for me to pick the phone up and call and that kind of relieves me and keeps me motivated.

Q: When did you legitimately know you could have a very successful football career?
A: Well after my freshman football season in high school where I had rushed for well over 2000 yards and 25 touch downs the varsity head coach (John Weber) had a talk with me about playing varsity early and he told me I could be a good player and it sort of clicked and I've been at it every since.

Q: How have you dealt with people doubting your size, and what do you tell others who are perceived as too small?
A: I really pay them no mind. I've heard it more than once lol and I've continued to produce. With people having done it throughout the draft process and Philly believing in me, I'm going to make a lot of teams mad. As for others thought of as being "too small", I'd tell them to focus on what they want to do, everyone needs something to talk about and they are playing to please the sports writer or journalist but God and in the end they will get what their works deserve.

Q: What made a Florida guy with family ties to biggest schools in Florida choose OSU?

A: They did a good job recruiting lol. After taking a visit up to Ohio in 2006 for the Michigan game I was sold. The atmosphere, the people was something I wanted to be apart of.

Q: Who is the toughest guy you have ever had to tackle or play against?
A: I would have to say Moise Plancher (spell check) a running back from Barron Collier High School in Naples who eventually played at South Florida. He was the hardest runner I've seen in a while back then.

Q: What is the biggest game you have ever played in?
A: I would have to say our high school state championship. I know a lot of guys would say the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl, but it was our teams first trip there ever and we had a 1 and 1000 chance of winning, but we pulled it off.


Q: Explain what it means to you to add your name to a long list of great Buckeye linebackers.

A: It's a tremendous honor. You think of all the guys who have played here it's really humbling. To have played with Laurinaitis and Freeman was a real honor and for me to be mentioned with guys like Spielman and Marek I am really.....appreciative.


Q: In the midst of all the Jim Tressel accusations, give us your feeling regarding this and what has coach Tressel meant to you.
A: Tressel is and has always since I met him been a stand up guy. A person who wants his guys to be great players but great people first. He has helped me mature and understand the real value behind being a great person.

Q: If you were not playing football what could you see yourself doing?
A: I'd be an elementary school teacher or a professional fisherman lol

Q: How was the pre-draft and draft experience?
A: It was a lot of fun, something that you only get one chance to do. I just enjoyed it and now that I'm an Eagle I know things will change but I'm ready for it.


Q: What excites you the most about playing in Philadelphia?
A: The fans, playing for Andy Reid, and playing at Lincoln Financial Field. I am ready to get it going.

Q: You have often been referred to as a very respectful and kind guy, how do you separate that from the mindset that is required on the gridiron?
A: Haha, I guess it's just a switch I have to turn on and off.

Good luck to Brian Rolle this season and thanks again! Fans can find Brian on Twitter @rolly_polly36

No comments: